How well do you treat yourself? When life gets hectic, caring for ourselves may take the back burner but it shouldn’t.
Taking care of your mind and body is your responsibility. Developing and engaging in self-care practices is essential to your emotional, mental and physical well-being. There are countless benefits to incorporating self-care practices into your daily routine such as better health, improved mood and improved productivity. Self-care builds compassion and strengthens our capacity to be better helping professionals for others.
There are many ways to take care of you. Make a commitment to indulge in a little something for yourself.
Here are some simple self-care practices from Tiffany Banks, our Assistant Director of Community Counseling, that you can consider:
- Get physical exercise
- Exercise a gratitude mindset
- Eat nutritious foods
- Create a deliberate habit
- Intentionally reflect on the good
- Connect with a colleague
- Get down and boogie – Dance! Dance! Dance!
- Have a good laugh- Go ahead, laugh out loud!
- Write down a compliment you get
- Explore nature- Take a nature walk and reflect on the beauty around you
- Get adequate rest
- Cherish true friends- Connection is healing
- Forgive yourself, forgive others
- Don’t get drawn into negativity
- Let love in
- Write or draw out your thoughts
- Say affirmations that ground your sense of self and purpose
- Know when to say no
- Exercise a signature strength
- Ask for help
- Get lost in a good novel
- Revisit a favorite thing from your childhood
Go ahead and give your mind, body and soul a little love and attention. Today is a great day to start engaging in intentional self-care practices. Which self-care practice will you try first?