How well do you treat yourself? When life gets hectic, self-care may take the back burner but it shouldn’t.
Taking care of your mind and body is your responsibility. Developing and engaging in self-care practices is essential to your emotional, mental and physical well-being. There are countless benefits to incorporating self-care practices into your daily routine such as better health, improved mood and improved productivity. Self-care builds compassion and strengthens our capacity to be better helping professionals for others.
There are many ways to take care of you. Make a commitment to indulge in a little something for yourself.
Here are some simple self-care practices from Tiffany Banks, our Assistant Director of Community Counseling, that you can consider:
- Get physical exercise
- Exercise a gratitude mindset
- Eat nutritious foods
- Create a deliberate habit
- Intentionally reflect on the good
- Connect with a colleague
- Get down and boogie – Dance! Dance! Dance!
- Have a good laugh- Go ahead, laugh out loud!
- Write down a compliment you get
- Explore nature- Take a nature walk and reflect on the beauty around you
- Get adequate rest
- Cherish true friends- Connection is healing
- Forgive yourself, forgive others
- Don’t get drawn into negativity
- Let love in
- Write or draw out your thoughts
- Say affirmations that ground your sense of self and purpose
- Know when to say no
- Exercise a signature strength
- Ask for help
- Get lost in a good novel
- Revisit a favorite thing from your childhood
Go ahead and give your mind, body and soul a little love and attention. Today is a great day to start engaging in intentional self-care practices. Which one will you try first?